Friday, July 4, 2014

Amazing UFO Series Shuttle Miniature!


     Back in April my friend and fellow blogger Mike Burrows attended Andercon in London.  Among the many astounding Gerry Anderson exhibits on display was an original shooting miniature from the series UFO.  Mike snapped a brilliant photo of it and I was floored.  This minature hasbeen on my mind for a very long time.  It was the shuttle that featured in the climax of the episode The Man Who Came Back.
     I have been obsessed with this craft because it was a very distinctive design and only appeared in that one episode.  There are almost no photos of it and it's barely mentioned in any official UFO publications.  One Japanese book I have on the subject of UFO refers to it as the SID Repair Shuttle (due to it being deployed to repair SHADO's Space Intruder Detector SID satellite.  Officially I'm told it's referred to as SID 2.  In the episode it's filmed almost entirely from its port and aft sides due to the miniature only being fully detailed in those areas.  I haven't been able to determine who designed it Derek Meddings or Mike Trim. It's certainly similiar to the Dove spacecraft which was designed by Meddings for the film Doppelganger aka Journey to the Far Side of the Sun.
    That miniature is now in the posession of a company called The Prop Gallery (see link below).  Thankfully, this model is being properly looked after and preserved.  The Prop Gallery has graciously given me permission to feature their archive photos of the miniature for my blog.  I'm very grateful to them for this opportunity.  Please visit their website and see the other amazing cinematic treasures they have on display.  And now, without further ado; the original  shooting miniature in all its glory.


Photo Courtesy of The Prop Gallery

Photo Courtesy of The Prop Gallery

Photo Courtesy of The Prop Gallery

Photo Courtesy of The Prop Gallery

Photo Courtesy of The Prop Gallery

Photo Courtesy of Mike Burrows

2 comments:

  1. It's certainly an interesting prop and considering it's only used in one episode it's amazing how it's survived all these years.
    I can only imagine someone either rescued it from the model store at Slough, or it was recovered from one of the skips outside the studio when it was shutting down. ( It breaks my heart to think what they threw away!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's certainly a beautiful miniature. Mike, I want to thank you again for snapping that photo at Andercon which motivated me to do the additional research that made this article possible.

    ReplyDelete