Saturday, March 15, 2014

Starbase Olympia Report: Hot Wheels Kilingon Bird of Prey! Into Darkness Version!


     Finally, we're back with more great models from the collection of my close friend Dan Foster in Olympia, Washington.  This time we have the Hot Wheels Klingon Bird of Prey as it was imagined for the 2013 film Star Trek Into Darkness.  As much as I love the classic Bird of Prey design; the latest interpretation has a lot going for it.  It's less elegant and with a greater degree of venom than we've seen before.  It's definitely what I like to call and angry design.  Hot Wheels brought those qualities into their diecast model.  I'll let the photos do the real talking.  Thank you Dan for once again providing a great contribution to the blog.  Enjoy!


 



Movie generation Bird of Prey for comparison

5 comments:

  1. The Commodore at Starbase Olympia salutes you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful models. And the artwork at the top of the post is fabulous. The Klingon BoP for me is an early example of biotech design, at least in the West, mixing technology and organic shapes. I suppose HR Giger took this to its peak but it's Cronenburg's flick ExistenZ that I always think of for truly biological looks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must agree with you there. The newest BOP has some some very biomechanical qualities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just think Will, if Hot Wheels would do die-cast versions of Project SWORD or Golden Astronaut! Now that would be neat! Not so far fetched, They did all the Hot Wheels pod vehicles and one of them, the radar truck, is more or less the Golden Astronaut Terrain Tiger! I suppose we'll just have to be content with the Imai die-cast Scramble Bug!

    ReplyDelete