Saturday, January 18, 2014

Remembering X-Bomber!

     I'm a big fan of the Japanese scifi marionation series X-Bomber; known in English speaking countries as Starfleet.  Created by legendary manga artist and animation producer Go Nagai; X-bomber combined elements of Star Wars and Gerry Anderson's classic supermarionation shows to create a truly unique TV space opera.  The show featured amazing space battles, bizarre aliens, and even a giant combiner robot.  Great stuff!  Although the 26 episode series was produced in 1980; I think it still looks great today.  I found a featurette on Youtube where Go Nagai is interviewed about the show's history and groundwork.  Gerry Anderson himself is also featured.  Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. Loved Star Fleet and the fabulous X-Bomber.

    The little featurette is a nice find and I was pleased to see Gerry adding a few comments. Listening to Go Nagai he's obviously proud of the show and so he should be, although I'm not sure a remake would be a good idea as thesedays it would probably end up as a CGI effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about a remake. We should just continue to enjoy the original.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cool stuff here Will! There's a whole world of sci-fi I basically missed out on in the '80s as I was busy with work and later trying to make a go of it in the military. Between Secret Space Base and Moonbase Central I am able to enjoy these blasts from the past!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you my friend. It's never too late to enjoy the classics.

    ReplyDelete