Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Future that Never Was....Men Into Space!

      I was just made aware of a great book about the epic 1959-1960 tv series Men Into Space.  Bill Bulloch over at the Project Sword Moonbase blog just finished reading a review copy of the book by John C Fredriksen.  Titled simply Men Into Space; it chronicles the making of the series and contains a comprehensive episode guide.  Bill Bulloch gave it a great review and that's good enough for me.  I'm a huge fan of the series.  For those who may not be familiar; the series followed astronaut Col. Edward McCauley (played by the late William Lundigan) as he commanded space missions for the US Air Force.  The series attempted to portray space travel and space exploration as realistically as possible.  The 38 episodes dealt with everything from lunar landings to addressing medical emergencies in space.  Death in the line of duty was not glossed over.  One episode eerily predicts the emergency that would eventually befall Apollo 13.  It's really unfortunate that this fine series has not received a proper dvd release.  In any case , I have ordered my copy of the book from Amazon and should receive it by Tuesday.   You can bet I'll have more to say after reading it.  In the meantime, here's the book's cover and an ad from the show's sponsor Lucky Strike Cigarettes.  Lets be fair, in those days you couldn't blame an astronaut for smoking.


3 comments:

  1. I happened to notice the toy Col McCauley helmet w/box on eBay just the other day. It would be a neat addition to the toy collection but I don't think it would fit on my fat head LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nor on my head. It certainly looks cool though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you paying over $5 per pack of cigarettes? I buy my cigs over at Duty Free Depot and I'm saving over 60% from cigs.

    ReplyDelete