Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Day the Magic Died

Ray Harryhausen June 29, 1920 - May 7, 2013

     Today is a day that I have dreaded for quite some time.  The father of modern special effects, Ray Harryhausen has passed away.  His work has been a great source of wonder and inspiration for so many people.  I certainly wouldn't have developed an interest in special effects and stop motion animation were it not for this man's films.  Films such as The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, The Mysterious Island, Jason and the Argonauts, and the Original Clash of the Titans.  He brought mythical creatures and worlds to life in a way that CGI is still unable to do.  Our world was just drained of a little more color and magic. 

3 comments:

  1. This episode was everything it should have been, retrospective, respectful, informative, entertaining and full of Ray. Since Ray's passing, this podcast was the single most riveting and thoughtful tribute I've had the pleasure of hearing... it obviously came from his FANS who understand the importance of his work, his life and his place in Human history as a gentleman genius and my greatest hero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate your kind words. I haven't had a chance to listen to the final cut or post it here yet as I've been ill. I understand from Tim that you contributed your thoughts on Ray for the show and I really appreciate that. I still believe that stop motion is still a viable medium for effects filmmaking. I'll stop believing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll NEVER stop believing that I mean.

    ReplyDelete